Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Comic Roundup: March 26, 2008

  • The date up there is a little misleading, but does represent that I bought all these comics on the 26th. I just so happens that only one of those books shipped that day. Of course if they published better comics, I'd be more tempted to go to the store every week. Well, enough griping. On with the comics.

  • Ex Machina issue 35: Has this really been going on this long? Crazy. Thankfully, although the audaciousness of the series has faded, Ex Machina continues to be a book I look forward to every month. This is the part where I fit in a one line synopsis, but I am drawing a blank. That can't be a good sign. Hmmm.... Oh yeah, this was the one-shot issue about the ghost of a black man haunting Mayor Hundred and also his relationship with the deputy mayor. I liked it. It was a pretty good issue, but the wow isn't there any more.

  • Justice League: The New Frontier Special issue 1: I'm listing this as issue 1 as there was a big "First Issue!" logo on the cover. That this will be the only issue doesn't seem to be a concern to whoever put this together. Someone probably hoped that this would sell more copies. The selling point should not be the number, though, but the story inside and this was a lot of fun. We get three stories in the vein of Darwyn Cooke's amazing DC: The New Frontier, here retitled for the matching DVD release. The first story is an effective continuation of the original series, wrapping up and focusing on the arc of DC's heroic trinity. The other two stories are lighter in every sense of the word, but no less enjoyable. Anyone who read the original series should enjoy this.

  • World of Warcraft issue 5: Yes, I'm still buying this, primarily on the basis of the property. Yes, I'm still enjoying the grand tour of the game world and the over-the-top fantasy adventure. Yes, the art and writing hold up. No, I'm not apologizing for my taste in comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment