Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Listened Lately: The Instance #150

  • The most recent episode of The Instance finally ran across my podcast feed. Usually I don't have much to write about the show since it is so news oriented. But today, I had to respond to the discussion about emblems in Patch 3.2. Specifically, everything that drops Emblems of Heroism or Emblems of Valor will now drop Emblems of Conquest, currently only found in 25 man Ulduar. A new emblem tier, Emblems of Triumph, will drop in all versions of the new raid as well as the daily dungeon and daily heroic quests.

  • So, is upgrading emblems a good thing? Sure, I think so. There are going to be a lot more people running heroics to get the new emblems. And Naxxramas becomes a big badge run. So unless your self-worth is tied up in who else has access to the same gear you do, who the hell cares?

  • And there are plenty of people who care. Just check that WoW.com article I linked above. 226 comments when I checked last. Look for the comments dimmed out because they were voted down. Those are fantastic examples of people who take their games way too seriously.

  • My feeling is that Blizzard knows people aren't gearing up fast enough to raid Icecrown Citadel and they want more people to be ready. They said many times that anyone should be able to confront Arthas. However putting so many tiers between a new level 80 and the final boss is a huge obstacle to surmount. Gearing up solely through 5 man dungeons will be slow, but I think they want everyone to have a crack at the guy who's been taunting us all expansion long.

  • Of course, unless Icecrown Citadel has a solo option, I still won't be seeing it. But no one is worried about me.

  • One final note: I started formulating this response while listening to the podcast. But then they got that Patrick Beja guy to come on and answer everything better than I just did. Not that I'm bitter or anything.


© 2009 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment