Friday, January 22, 2010

Random Shots: Games I'd Like To Play

  • Living in California, the office where I work does not shut down due to inclement weather. The Midwest and Eastern offices are always going dark because of snow or flooding or whatever. Today, however, something happened to knock out the power so everyone was sent home. Instead of working, I spent the day playing video games. But I also didn't want to neglect you, so thought I'd talk about all the games that have suddenly caught my attention this month. I'll probably wait until I can get most of these cheap, but it seems like there are a lot of interesting games out there now.

  • Darksiders - This game was nowhere on my radar until a couple of days ago. Why would I spare any thought on a game called that? But then all the podcasts began talking about how the game was really an homage to the Zelda games, with dashes of God of War and Portal thrown in for seasoning. I haven't played a real Zelda game since Majora's Mask and I'm not about to invest in a new Nintendo console. This game sounds like fun. Sadly, it probably won't be long before it hits the bargain bins, just the right price for me.

  • Bayonetta - Another game that I would not have given an notice to, Bayonetta is suddenly getting a massive amount of critical attention. It sounds like an absolutely insane spectacle. I can't help but be curious. Just not so curious as to drop sixty dollars on it.

  • Mass Effect 2 - There is no debate here. The one new game I'm looking forward to this year more than any other is Mass Effect 2. Come Tuesday I will be purchasing a copy (possibly the collector's edition) and making myself comfortable in front of my 360. My Commander Shepard has been patient for a long time and I don't want to keep her waiting.

  • The Saboteur - I was a huge fan of Pandemic's game for the Xbox called Mercenaries. I enjoyed roaming the war ravaged Korean countryside while tracking down various war criminals. The review warned me away from Mercenaries 2 (though I still want to give it a shot), but they won't deter me from trying The Saboteur. The game sounds like they took the Mercenaries model and applied it to Nazi-occupied Paris, but with a bit more style. Sure, it doesn't sound like an amazing game. But it looks like a lot of fun.

  • Your turn. What are looking forward to?


© 2010 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. Darksiders really jumped onto my radar out of nowhere as well. Zelda meets God of War sounds like a lot of fun to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got bot Darksiders and Bayonetta on my Gamefly que and hopefully someday I will get one of those to play.

    I am leaning more towards picking up Mass Effect 2 for the PC. I do know I will be getting Bioshock 2, probably for the PC and DoWII: Chaos Rising in March.

    So many games, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darksiders came out of nowhere for me too, but I'm resisting the urge to buy any more console games until I finish the stack already sitting next to my Xbox. The only exception I'm making to that rule is Mass Effect 2, since the first one is why I bought a 360 to begin with.

    ReplyDelete