Friday, March 12, 2010

Comic Roundup: March 10, 2010

  • The date above says March 10, but I'm pretty sure these all came out on March 3. But I waited until the 10th because what I really wanted was the latest issure of Criminal: The Sinners. Only the comic shop didn't get their order this week. (Arrgh!) So here I am reviewing week old comics. Things could be worse.

  • Astro City: The Dark Age: Book Four issue 2 - It says Book Four, Issue 2 on the cover, but it's really part 14 of 16. That may be the sole reason I bought this comic. Kurt Busiek's survey of the grim and gritty comic moment is still chugging along, pushing Charles, Royal, and the Silver Agent to their appointed ending. While it has been an interesting tale, I'll be glad when it is over.

  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season Eight issue 33 - Wow, I didn't see that coming. So, Twilight is [SPOILER DELETED]. I'm not sure if I buy it. I mean [SPOILER DELETED] gave a whole explanation about how he [SPOILER DELETED]. And then at the end they [SPOILER DELETED]. Maybe I should go back and reread everything to find out if [SPOILER DELETED] holds up.

  • Detective Comics issue 862 - The second part of The Cutter continues to follow both Batman's and Batwoman's investigations of a maniac who is cutting specific body parts off of women. Greg Rucka's tale still has me fascinated, although it's more of a straightforward superhero story. Where in the prior issue I was comparing Jock's art with JH Williams III, this issue reminds my greatly of Michael Gaydos and his work on Alias. And that can only be a good thing. (Looking at the first page of this issue made me realize how much I miss that series.) As an aside, I don't think I would have figured out why the story is told the way it is if Aaron from the Awesomed By Comics Podcast hadn't pointed out what was going on. It's all in there, but I wouldn't have seen it myself.

  • What If? Astonishing X-Men issue 1 - I don't buy many Marvel comics nowadays. The whole infinite crossover thing they've been doing for the last few years has driven me away completely. But considering how much I enjoyed Astonishing X-Men, I was curious to see how a What If? version would turn out. It was okay. It was pretty, but it has the compression problems all What If? comics have. I'm not unhappy that I read it.


© 2010 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment