Thursday, April 5, 2012

News Filter: Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut

  • We're taking a little break from Unexplored Worlds week because I can't let this go by without comment. Blue Kae sent me a message this morning alerting me to today's news. Bioware announced that they will be releasing a free DLC pack this summer called Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut. The DLC is intended to expand the game with new cinematics that do more to explain the events.

  • According to the FAQ, Bioware isn't adding or changing anything. They are just clarifying and expanding on what is already there. They are staying firmly committed to the ending that they intended, but want to give more explanation and closure to the fans.

  • Okay, fine.

  • I and many others have gone to great lengths to explain why the game does not have a narratively satisfying ending. The main problem with the Retake Mass Effect 3 movement is that so many people want something different from the ending, whether it is closure, or the oppotunity for heroism, or (like myself) narrative consistency. There is no way Bioware can make everyone happy. This announcement shows which group they decided to address.

  • As Blue Kae and I were chatting, he asked if this DLC could help change my mind about the ending. I don't know if it will or not, but I intend to go into it with an open mind. I'm not willing to give up on Mass Effect just yet.

© 2012 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't even played through mass effect 2 yet (it is currently resting on my kitchen table), so I don't have a pony in this race. However, that announcement reads to me like "If you didn't like the ending, bite me. We will at least try to clarify as to why we thought it was a good idea some time over the summer..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to play ME3 but I went ahead and spoiled the endings because of all the hubbub about it. I just think they are not all the good. Yes I would love a happy everyone lives ending, no I don't mind if Shepard dies, but to me the endings just don't feel all that satisfying of a way to conclude the story.

    You play three games and make countless decisions and choices in trying to save the universe and it doesn't really matter because the universe is suppose to end regardless.

    ReplyDelete