Monday, June 15, 2009

By Request: Free Realms Q & A

  • When I look at my site statistics, I've seen a lot more hits (okay, about 10 more per day) over the last couple of months. While I'd like to think that more people are showing up because of my insightful commentary or sparkling personality, the conclusion I am forced to come to is that people are Googling Free Realms and found my posts. As a service to you, both my constant readers and my drive-by Googlers, here's a few answers to your favorite search terms.

  • "free realms crash" - The most popular topic leading people to the blog has to do with Free Realms crashing. I'm not entirely surprised to find this. I had a hell of a time getting it to work on my computer as the game would always crash after playing about five to ten minutes. What I discovered was that switching to Windowed Mode cut down crashes almost entirely. I hate, hate, hate playing games this way, but FR is fun enough to put up with it. Plus I can mess with iTunes and Twitter while I'm mining, so that's nice.

  • "free realms windowed mode " - I'm sure you're not surprised to see that as a popular search term. If you don't know how to switch to Windowed Mode, follow these steps.

    1. Click on the gear icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen labeled Game Options.

    2. Choose "Game Options" from the menu.

    3. Choose "Video" from the next menu.

    4. Click the "Windowed Mode" option on this screen.

    That should do it. Hopefully that clears up your crashes.

  • "lavender coast"/"silver hills"/"black forest"/"stormfront mountains" - With all those Coming Soons on the map, there is a lot of interest about when new lands will be released. Your guess is as good as anyone else's. The developers are not talking about expansion. When they do (like they did at E3) they're talking about new classes and new minigames. Unless they were developing those prior to launch as well, it will be several months to another year before we see that kind of expansion. Enjoy what you've got, don't overdo it, and good things will eventually come.

  • "free realms rare exploration guide" - This one is more than I can handle on my own, so I'm going to point out a couple resources that I've used to track down those last tokens. First the FR Wiki at ZAM has a bunch of guides available that are really helpful pointing you in the right directions. Second, if you really can't track that last one down, Chip228 has a number of videos up at YouTube that show you exactly how to find each token. Between those two links, you'll have all your rare exploration collections completed in no time.

  • "how to get backpack on free realms " - Just had to add this one. Do what I said in the above question and you'll have a backpack in no time.

  • "how to get out of cracked claw caverns" - One last question, then I'm going to bed. If you want to get out of Cracked Claw Caverns, you need to kill Cracked Claw. That's the whole point of going there, right?

  • Good night, everyone. See you in the Sacred Grove.



  • © 2009 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.
    If you're reading this on a site other than Bullet Points, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

2 comments:

  1. I think the single biggest traffic spike I ever got was on the Wrath expansion launch day. I was in the beta, and had written a post about travel around Northrend. Many many many people were apparently interested in questions like how to get there, where the cities/amenities were, etc.

    Sometimes the simple, factual stuff is what people need the most out of all our lengthy posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Green Armadillo - True enough. I dearly hope that they come for the facts and stick around for the wit.

    So, my Free Realms fans, leave a comment and let me know if you'll be back!

    ReplyDelete