Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Played Lately: Grand Theft Auto IV

  • A few days ago, I mentioned that I wanted to play Grand Theft Auto IV again. When it went on sale on Steam recently, I decided this was the perfect time to get back to a game that I enjoyed so much before, but never found my way back to. Having it on my current favorite gaming platform doesn't hurt at all. And I'm hooked.

  • The story of Niko Bellic's crime-ridden journey through Liberty City is enthralling. He starts off grundgingly doing favors to help out his cousin. Then before you know it, Niko has returned to his old ways. Some people have complained that this all seems incongruous with his professed soul-searching, I feel like the transition is gradual enough that it feels natural for him.

  • Some of the missions are as hard as heck, but I keep going back until I beat them. I haven't run into one that made me want to give up entirely. Some, like "Three Leaf Clover," I had to attempt several times. But I kept at it because I wanted to see where the story went.

  • I don't have a lot to say that is new to anyone. GTA IV is a really good game and I'm enjoying it. I can't wait to see how it ends.


© 2009 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.
If you're reading this on a site other than Bullet Points, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

4 comments:

  1. I especially like the details that went into the background noise: the radio and news announcements and advertisements. Some of them are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think i ever played all the way though on GTA4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very close to buying this, but then I could just play my copy on the Xbox 360, so I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Literary Feline - Rockstar does a great job with those little touches. I'll sometimes leave Niko in a car for a few minutes just listen to the radio.

    @ ogrebears - My problem before with the game was how big it is. Now that I don't have as many games clamoring for my time, it feels a lot more manageable.

    @ Jayedub - I feel kind of bad for my 360 since I barely play it anymore. I just prefer gaming on my PC now.

    ReplyDelete