Friday, July 29, 2011

Comic Roundup: July 27, 2011

  • Although a couple of these books are from last week, I actually picked up quite a few new issues this week. Although I went to pick up Criminal, I was surprised to find the new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. And while I was there, I might as well pick up one or two other books, right? Time to get reading.

  • Rocketeer Adventures issue 3 - It's hard to write about an anthology series month after month. Especially when everything included is good stuff. I should say that the stories this issue were the strongest yet, each a great addition to the Rocketeer universe. The pinups may not have been as strong, but two okay pages do not drag down the issue.

    As an aside, Dave Stevens: Complete Sketches & Studies was available and it took everything in my power not to slap $50 down right then and there. I almost hope someone else buys the one copy they had so that I don't have to face it down again next week. I'm not that strong.

  • Warlord of Mars issue 8 - John Carter carries on his mission to rescue his beloved Dejah Thoris. Since she is now betrothed to another, Carter must find a way to free her from captivity without transgressing Mars customs that might prevent the two of them from ever being together. The action is still strong and I love how Burroughs' crazy imagination shines through. I'm still enjoying this series a lot more than I thought that I might.

  • Warlord of Mars: Fall of Barsoom issue 1 - Fall of Barsoom is to Warlord of Mars as The Old Republic is to Star Wars. This is a good thing. The story takes place 100,000 years before the main book and explains how Mars fell into its current predicament, with its failed oceans and atmosphere, and with racial tensions between the various peoples on the rise. I liked the writing and enjoyed the Jim-Lee-esque art. It could have been bad, but the book seems like a worthy addition to history of Barsoom.

  • Kirby: Genesis issue 2 - Jiminy Christmas, this book is packed full of crazy. All kinds of crazy. I've never actually read a Jack Kirby book, but this seems like the kind of crazy that everyone wants me to think Jack Kirby books were like. Still reading, still curious about the crazy. At least it looks pretty.

  • Glamourpuss issue 20 - In this issue, we get a rummination on the love triangle between Nelson Algren, Simone de Beauvoir, and Jean-Paul Sartre, the continued examination of Alex Raymond's final day, and more fashion model art. In other words, just another issue of Glamourpuss.

    That's a good thing if you like Dave Sim and enjoy following whatever lacunae he wants to investigate. It's not your average comic book. And thank goodness for that.

  • Criminal: The Last of the Innocent issue 2 - After all of the breathless reviews ruined my enjoyment of the first issue, The Last of the Innocent comes back much stronger in the second. Brubaker, Phillips, and Staples continue to kill it with each issue. I'm not going to get me to spoil anything, but I will say that all of the action promised in the first issue finally comes to fruition this issue. Don't miss it.

  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Century: 1969 - You know, this is a long book and I'm tired. Maybe I'll come back to it later.



© 2011 Marty Runyon. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment